Most of the students lose interest in math as they get promoted to higher grades due to the complexity. Scoring becomes difficult if the students lose interest. Teachers find it difficult to teach the students as they will have many doubts due to the lack of interest and focus.
Everyone says class 6 math is tough, yet sometimes it is because till 5th what you have been seeing in your textbooks might be colorful stories and repetition of topics. Most of the students need support and help in solving the concepts at this stage. This is when they start tasting the real essence of Mathematics.
Whenever a student makes up the mind to study something, they find it boring and time-consuming. It is all about practice and solving. But once they lose interest, scoring becomes difficult. However, the following methods or techniques may help the students to develop an interest in Mathematics:
- Use math in everyday life: A lot of students do not realize what important role math plays in our everyday lives. Encourage yourself to use and solve math concepts outside school. For example, if a packet of milk cost ten rupees, then four packets of milk cost how much. In the toy store, calculate the price of a discounted toy and how long it will take to save up your allowance to buy it.
- Understand the standards: Sixth-grade math takes on ratios and proportions, negative and positive numbers, equivalent equations, and how to depict three-dimensional shapes in two dimensions. Familiarize yourself with learning the relationships between the numbers.
- Analyze and learn statistics: Sixth graders learn how statistics are supposed to be collected and analyzed and that they’re based on variability. For example, how far the girls on the team can throw the ball is statistical because there is variability from girl to girl.
- Monitor the solutions: Each student needs to complete day-to-day homework and assignments related to mathematics. It helps you be in touch with the concepts and also develops curiosity on what concept will be taught next. It’s a good idea to limit distractions and helps checks for correct calculations and answers. Take help of Vedantu cbse class 6 maths syllabus and solutions to assess weak and strong areas.
- Play math games at home: Playing games that involve mathematics may help you to understand the use of maths in the future and develop interest. Students can learn to enjoy math by playing games such as chess, dominoes, cribbage, checkers, Set, Monopoly, Yahtzee, and backgammon.
- Motivate by giving challenges: Ask your teachers to provide you with challenges that may or may not include the academic syllabus. For example, ask your teachers to present a few simpler problems involving familiar situations and then followed with exercises involving the unfamiliar situations. This helps you get motivated to solve challenging problems.
- Discover the usefulness of the topic: Choose a topic of your interest and research or ask your teachers, parents, or guardians about its application in daily life. For example, in high school geometry, a student could be asked to find the diameter of a plate where all the information he or she has is a section of the plate that is smaller than a semicircle.
- Use technology to develop interest: There are so many great websites for practicing math skills such as chrome books, online puzzles, and riddles. From fact practice to review of skills to online math games, that will make every student develop interest.
- Write What You Learn: Once you learned your topic, make it a habit of writing it down. The time taken to solve a problem determines how fast you can solve different problems in a given time frame.
- Watch a Documentary on a Topic: To learn a subject in a fast and easy way, try to watch a video of the lesson or topic you are studying. Visuals help to retain things efficiently. Video tutorials are one such platform that helps you to learn in a fun way with animated videos, interactive study with mentors, and adaptive learning techniques.
- Study in a Group: Studying in groups helps you to have your share of fun and learn a wide variety of concepts. Each person in the group takes turns to learn and teach the concepts to others. This covers a wide range of concepts and also helps you understand the concept clearly. This will surely assist you in accentuating your knowledge and thus scoring good marks in exams.
- Use Mnemonic Technique: Make short formulae or short sentences for complex data. Take the first letter of the formula and make a sentence
- Create Mental Associations: Try to relate what you learned to different subjects. Making connections is an easy way to remember a lesson. Making scenarios that help you in learning the concept is a great way of remembering them. You can tell yourself stories based on Math concepts and make up your characters with variables and numbers.
- Draw Diagrams: When you are tired of reading, sit and draw diagrams. It will help you not only to relax and but also learn the topic in a better way. You can figure out what you missed while drawing it and rectify it accordingly.
- Understand the derivation: A lot of students think that only the result of the derivation matters. You can’t always learn a formula; you need to understand the logic behind it. If you understand the formula, the chances of forgetting the formula are less, rather than mugging up and forgetting it anyway.
Maths It isn’t as scary or difficult as it sounds. It’s the one subject that will help you even after school is over. Maths is that, once you get the hang of it, it can be your most scoring subject. It’s not impossible, in fact, it’s easier than it looks.